Sunday, September 23, 2012

White Christmas

At Christmas time I think of all the gifts That bring me great delight and sweet surprise, But nothing in this world can bring such joy As you do, when you look into my eyes. And when I contemplate what Christmas means, The caring and the giving--I confess, You've given me the things I want the most: Your love, your touch, your kiss, your warm caress. The Christmas tree reminds me, with its lights That just the thought of you sets me aglow; You light me up from deep within my heart, Because I cherish you, and love you so. With you it's Christmas all the time, sweetheart. I treasure every hour and every minute. Your love is all I'll ever want because, My life is so fulfilling with you in it.


White Christmas ---> printable sheet music


There was a time in the United States when Christmas played a very different role. It brought people together and did so without any great effort. It was just a normal part of American life. Many of the secular cultural symbols we associate with Christmas are American creations. For instance, the American writer George Pintard added reindeer to Santa’s sleigh in 1821 and Clement Clarke Moore raised the number to eight in his classic poem ‘A Visit From St Nicholas’. Our modern, bearded fat man with his fur-lined suit was the creation of the cartoonist, Thomas Nast, and Santa’s suit is red because the Coca-Cola Company showed it this way in its advertisements. The classic Christmas songs, ‘White Christmas’, ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’, and ‘Silver Bells’ were all written by American composers, who also happened to be Jewish. Indeed, the holiday was celebrated by many Jews and Christians alike, by the native born and by immigrants, all of whom adopted American customs and added some of their own. The holiday even created a Christmas tradition for Jews who didn’t celebrate it, namely going out for Chinese food and a movie on Christmas Day.

I am dreaming of white Christmas,
with every christmas card i write,
May your days be merry and bright,
and May all your christmases be white.
Happy Christmas